home Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube RSS Feed

Lead Replacement Program (LRP)

The City of Welland, in partnership with the Niagara Region Water Smart Program, is offering a Grant Program to property owners with a lead water service pipe or sharing a water service with a neighbour (also referred to as a split water service).  LRP works to provide funding to help offset the cost of replacement of the water service.  A funding allocation to a maximum of $1,500/$2,000 is available to assist the property owner with the improvements.  The work done is between the property owner and their contractor.  The property owner is responsible for the on-going operation and maintenance of the new installation.  Funding for this grant has been established on a 50/50 cost sharing basis between the City of Welland and the Niagara Region Water Smart Program.

The Program is available to property owners who have made application before the replacement is completed.  Retroactive funding may be available in accordance with certain requirements, see Page 5.

Please read these Policies and Procedures including the attached Application Form carefully before making formal application.  It is imperative every Property Owner seeking funding under the Program understands the extent and requirements of the Program thoroughly, including the requirement to sign a statement releasing the City from all claims resulting from works carried out under this Grant Program.

Please note: Replacement and/or modification of any existing building system including the water service may reveal other building deficiencies, unrelated to the water service.  If such deficiencies are discovered upon excavation, or at any time, the Property Owner will be responsible to decide if repairs or new work is necessary and will be responsible for the cost of the related work.

The works listed below and those considered at the discretion of Infrastructure and Development Services are ELIGIBLE for submission of a Grant request.

  • Excavation including sawcutting where necessary.
  • Removal/abandonment of lead water service pipe from curb stop at property line to the building control shut off valve.
  • Removal/abandonment of shared water service from the curb stop at property line to the building control shut off valve. In the case of a split/shared water service, upon application approval, each property owner is entitled to recover eligible costs up to the maximum.
  • Supply and installation costs of new water service pipe from curb stop at property line to each house served. Water service pipes for houses shall be copper with minimum ¾” size or as required by Ontario Building Code. For other than houses, copper pipe shall be used unless the applicant verifies the pipe is not necessary to meet electrical grounding requirements.
  • Installation costs above shall include pipe bedding, backfill, compaction, labour, and equipment costs, where necessary to complete the work.
  • Program will include reasonable restoration costs such as concrete foundation and concrete floor repair, interior finishes, sodding/seeding, porch/deck relocation, asphalt/concrete driveway reinstatement, sidewalk reinstatement.
  • Program will not include restoration costs for landscaping, flowerbeds, tree replacement, excessive driveway repair, new porches, new sidewalks, new decks.

The maximum funding allocation is $1,500, established by Council on March 1, 2011. Also, program funding can be increased to a maximum $2,000, but only where the lowest quotation has come in at over $3,000, established by Council on October 1, 2013.

  1. Contact Infrastructure and Development Services – Building Services Technician who is the LRP Program Project Co-Ordinator - 905-735-1700, Extension 2317 to discuss the Program. The Project Co-Ordinator will review your situation and advise you if you may be eligible for the LRP Program.
  2. If it is determined that you may be eligible for the Program, the attached Application Form must be completed and submitted. At this point, the Project Co-Ordinator will arrange a satisfactory time with you to view your property for a pre-work site inspection, with City Inspectors and Public Works Staff.
  3. At the pre-work site inspection, City representatives will review the general installation with you and given the characteristics of your building/property will advise you of what work is eligible for funding under this Program. The form may list the eligible works for the Contractor’s use to help itemize costs. A sketch may be prepared to form the basis of the work.
  4. You will then need to obtain written quotations for the eligible works from Contractors you are prepared to hire. It is your responsibility to find a suitable Contractor as is usual with any work on private property. Only works identified in the pre-work inspection will be eligible, the Contractor must not quote on restoration items not covered in the Program. Your selected quote MUST be submitted to the Project Co-Ordinator for review.
  5. The Program will only cover eligible costs to a maximum $1,500/$2,000. If total eligible costs are less than $1,500/$2,000, only eligible costs will be funded. If total eligible costs are greater than $1,500/$2,000, only $1,500/$2,000 will be funded and the property owner will be required to fund the difference.
  6. Program funding can be increased to a maximum $2,000, but only where the lowest quotation has come in at over $3,000.
  7. In instances where the owner has not provided 2 competitive bids, such as:
    1. The owner wishes to use a certain contractor without obtaining 2 quotes;
    2. The owner performs the work;
    3. An emergency repair is undertaken without 2 quotes, and the contractor discovers a lead pipe while completing a water service replacement;
    4. The work is already complete, the owner has learned of the Program, and applies for funding – see also section below on Retroactivity of Program;

    The program will only fund $750.

  8. Once you and the Project Co-Ordinator have established the most acceptable approach and costs, permission will be given to proceed with the eligible works, but only after the appropriate Plumbing Permit has been issued. The property owner or his/her Contractor must obtain and pay for the Plumbing Permit (fee in 2019 is $137).
  9. The Municipality will not supervise or be responsible for the work other than to inspect the plumbing and related works to ensure that they are installed in accordance with the Ontario Building Code. You will oversee the work as is usual when private property work is carried out, and are ultimately responsible for its satisfactory completion. The Project Co-Ordinator and Building/Plumbing Inspectors will be available for consultation on technical concerns, however remember you will be hiring the Contractor who will be working for you as Owner of the property and building.
  10. CITY WORK FIRST – Generally, the City may install new water laterals to your property line before any work on private property may commence. City will determine the location of laterals to your property line in consultation with you, at the pre-work site inspection. Final decision will lie with the City.
  11. ELECTRICAL GROUNDING – The property owner and contractor are responsible to ensure electrical grounding is maintained. As the electrical main service ground often utilizes the building water service, the installation/replacement/repair of any water service must conform with the requirements of the Electrical Safety Code with respect to grounding. Contact the Electrical Safety Authority at 1-877-372-7233 concerning this matter if applicable.
  12. ABANDONMENT OF EXISTING WATER SERVICE - Existing water service must be adequately abandoned by permanent capping, not by crimping pipe. Any abandonment inside the building must be completed where pipe enters building.
  13. REQUIRED INSPECTIONS – (1) Pre-work, and (2) water service completion (prior to backfill). It is the responsibility of you or your Contractor to schedule the inspections with the City well in advance of the intention to backfill or cover.
  14. WATER METER - A water meter must be installed in the correct location at the completion of the work in order to qualify for the program. If no water meter exists, one must be installed by the City’s Water Meter Division in conjunction with the new water service. If a water meter exists, and the new water service installed under this Program enters the building at a different location the meter may need to be relocated by your Contractor in conjunction with the new water service. It is your Contractors responsibility to relocate the existing water meter to City Standards, which may require special fittings from the City and will require final approval from the Water Meter Department prior to approval of funding.
  15. Once all of the Program work has been done and you are content that your Contractor has completed everything to your satisfaction, you must submit your Contractor’s final invoice (along with any other relevant documentation if requested) to the Project Co-Ordinator. Please note that you MUST sign the release portion of the Application Form before your Grant will be processed, so please ensure you read it carefully in advance of proceeding with the Program.
  16. This information will be reviewed to ensure that only costs associated with the eligible works are funded. A Grant will then be issued to you in the form of payment for all costs deemed eligible to a maximum of $1,500/$2,000 per property. All efforts will be made to evaluate these forms and issue cheques in a timely manner. You will then pay the Contractor.

A Grant shall not exceed $1,500/$2,000 per property/water service pipe. A Grant will only be awarded for the amount outlined on the Application Form submitted and the documentation such as invoices for Contractor’s work, labour and materials used to complete the eligible works.
Program funding can be increased to a maximum $2,000, but only where the lowest quotation has come in at over $3,000. Program funding is limited to $750 as described in procedures in Item 7.
Retroactive funding is available only as described on Page 5.
Please note that weather conditions at the time of application may delay work to be completed by City Staff on the City owned side of the water service (if applicable) to a later date where such work can be completed.


  • Preliminary contact with the Project Co-Ordinator
  • Application submitted
  • Pre-work inspection with City Representatives on site
  • Search out prospective Contractors
  • Submit quotations from at least 2 selected Contractors on eligible works
  • Receive permission to proceed under Program
  • Discuss and agree on work with Contractor – do not start work yet
  • Co-ordinate work with neighbour for shared water service
  • Co-ordinate work with Public Works for new City lateral – City lateral may be required to be installed first
  • Co-ordinate new water meter installation with the City’s Water Meter Division (if none exists)
  • Co-ordinate relocation of existing water meter by your Contractor (if required to be moved to location where new water service enters building)
  • Obtain Plumbing Permit (by Contractor or property owner - $137 fee required in 2019)
  • Schedule inspections with City Inspectors by calling 905-735-1700, Extension 2257 or 2251 at least 1 day before new water service will be backfilled
  • Begin work
  • Do not backfill until inspections completed
  • Work completed
  • Submit final invoice for Grant processing
  • Grant awarded to Property Owner
  • Payment to Contractor by Property Owner

Program procedures require an owner to make application and receive approval before work commences. In spite of this, many times, an owner has completed or started the work of water service replacement without making application for the Program. Staff believes funding should be denied in most instances, however could be granted if the following conditions are met:

  1. Owner subsequently applies for Program.
  2. Owner is able to verify, and City Inspectors confirm the existing pipe replaced or being replaced is/was a lead or split service.
  3. A Plumbing Permit is issued, and inspections performed to satisfy City Inspectors the work conforms with the Ontario Building Code.
  4. Only a $750 grant will be provided, unless the owner can produce a minimum of 2 competitive bids, dated prior to commencement of work.

January 1, 2019

Information and Forms (Attached)


For further information concerning the Program and work on private property, please contact City Hall during regular business hours (8:30am – 4:30pm) at 905-735-1700:

  • LRP Project Co-Ordinator – ext. 2317
  • Building/Plumbing Inspectors – ext. 2257 or 2251 (for inspections 24-48 hours notice required)

For further information concerning replacement of City water laterals on the road allowance please contact Public Works during regular business hours at 905-735-9500:

  • Sewer/Water Foreman – ext. 3020
  • Public Works General Foreman - ext. 3004

For further information concerning installation of a new water meter, relocation of the existing water meter, or for special fittings please contact the City’s Water Meter Division during regular business hours at 905-735-9500:

  • Senior Meter Calibrator Installer – ext. 3041