home Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube RSS Feed

Marriage Certificates/Licences

The City of Welland will be issuing Marriage Licences by appointment only. Couples who wish to obtain a Marriage Licence are required to book an appointment with the Clerks Department by calling 905-735-1700 Ext. 0, or emailing marriage@welland.ca.

Appointments are scheduled on Mondays and Thursdays between 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m., and Wednesdays between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 pm (excluding 12-1p.m.)

Marriage Certificate

A marriage certificate is the legal record of a marriage.

Your marriage must be registered prior to obtaining a marriage certificate.

The official who performed the Ontario marriage initiates the registration process by forwarding your complete and signed marriage licence to the Office of the Registrar General (Province of Ontario).

When you get married outside of Ontario, your marriage won’t be registered in Ontario. Your marriage is registered in the jurisdiction that it took place in.  Marriage Certificates are obtained from that jurisdiction.

The City of Welland does not hold marriage records. The Office of the Registrar General (Province of Ontario) holds records for marriages that happened in Ontario during the past 80 years. To apply online, please visit the ServiceOntario website at https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-get-copy-ontario-marriage-certificate-online. To obtain a paper application, please visit the Office of the City Clerk, Welland City Hall, 60 East Main St.

To obtain older records, please contact the Archives of Ontario, 134 Ian Macdonald Boulevard, Toronto, ON  M7A 2C5, 1-800-668-9933 or 416-327-1600.

Marriage Licences

A Marriage Licence Application may be obtained in the Clerk’s Office at the Civic Square during regular office hours (8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) or at www.ServiceOntario.ca/GettingMarried.

Marriage Licences may be obtained from the City Clerk’s Office between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. This process takes approximately 30 minutes to complete, as long as all necessary documentation is present when applying for a marriage licence.

The fee for a Marriage Licence is $130 (including HST) which is to be paid by cash, debit, money order or certified cheque.

Any person who is at least 18 years of age may marry. Any person who is 16 or 17 years of age may marry with the written consent of his/her legal guardian(s). A consent form is available in the Clerk’s Office for this purpose. No person under 16 years of age may marry.

A marriage licence application must be completed and signed by the applicant and joint applicant. At least one party to the proposed marriage must apply in person and present two original pieces of identification for each applicant.

The required identification documents must include an original birth certificate or current passport, together with one other piece of government issued photo identification. Only original valid identification in the English Language will be accepted.

Important:  passports do not always contain full given name (first and middle names); therefore, please be aware that for full given name to be recorded on the marriage licence, either a birth certificate or passport containing your full given name must be presented as identification.

If the applicant or joint applicant have been previously married and the marriage was dissolved or annulled in Canada, the original or a Court-certified copy of the final Certificate of Divorce or Certificate annulling the marriage must be presented to the issuer of the Marriage Licence in the Clerk’s Office.

An original Certificate of Divorce may be obtained and purchased from the Court Office in the City the divorce was granted. If the marriage was dissolved or annulled outside of Canada, you must obtain authorization by the Ministry of Government Services before a Marriage Licence can be issued.

If the marriage was dissolved or annulled outside of Canada, you must obtain authorization by the Ministry of Government Services before a Marriage Licence can be issued.

The Applicant whose former marriage was dissolved or annulled other than in Canada must obtain authorization by submitting the following documents to:

The Office of the Registrar General
P.O. Box 3000
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 5W0
  1. A completed Marriage Licence Application form signed by both Applicants.
  2. The original or a court certified copy of the Decree of Divorce or Annulment (certified by the proper Court Officer in the jurisdiction the divorce or annulment was granted). If the document is in a language other than English or French, include a translated copy together with an affidavit sworn by the translator.
  3. A Statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorce signed by both Applicants. This form is available in the Clerk’s Office.
  4. A legal opinion of an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in the Province of Ontario. A sample legal opinion letter can be obtained from the Office of the Registrar General by calling 1-807-343-7492 or toll free in Ontario at 1-800-461-2156. A sample letter will be faxed to your lawyer upon the lawyer’s request.

Genealogy Search information can be found here.