home Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube RSS Feed

Fire Alerts and Notices


Purchasing a smoke or carbon monoxide alarm

Visit the Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs Safety Notices, Recalls and Buyer Beware webpage.


Combination Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector recalled due to potential failure to operate

More information can be found on the Recalls and safety alerts webpage


Open-Air Fires

Welland City Council passed By-law 2011-85 which permits and regulates open-air recreational burning.  For more information, please click on the above By-law or call Welland Fire and Emergency Services at 905-735-1700.

For more information view our quick guide Welland Backyard Fires (pdf)

Fireworks Safety

Tip Sheet from the Ontario Fire Marshal’s Office:

  • To minimize the risk of fire and burn injury, the fire service does not recommend family fireworks or informal neighbourhood displays.
  • The fire service recommends attending public fireworks displays hosted by your municipality or other responsible organization.
  • If you still choose to have a family fireworks or an informal neighbourhood display, here are some important safety tips to be followed:
  • Appoint a responsible person to be in charge. Only adults who are aware of the hazards and essential safety precautions should handle and discharge fireworks.
  • Carefully read and follow the label directions on fireworks packaging.
  • Always keep a water hose or pail of water close by when discharging fireworks.
  • Discharge fireworks well away from combustible materials like buildings, trees and dry grass.
  • Keep onlookers a safe distance away, upwind from the area where fireworks are discharged.
  • Light only one firework at a time and only when they are on the ground. Never try to light a firework in your hand or re-light dud fireworks. For dud fireworks, it is best to wait 30 minutes and soak them in a bucket of water. Dispose of them in a metal container.
  • Discharge fireworks only if wind conditions do not create a safety hazard.
  • Keep sparklers away from children. Sparklers burn extremely hot and can ignite clothing, cause blindness and result in severe burns. As the sparkler wire remains hot for some minutes after burnout, it should be immediately soaked in water to avoid injury.
  • If someone gets burned, run cool water over the wound for three to five minutes and seek medical attention, if necessary.

For more information, please click on the fireworks By-law or call Welland Fire and Emergency Services at 905-735-1700.