home Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube RSS Feed

Lottery Licences

City of Welland staff can help your organization through the application eligibility process for lottery licensing which is an instrumental means of fundraising for many charitable purposes to benefit the local community. Please contact the Games Licensing Clerk at 905-735-1700 or email lottery@welland.ca.

To be eligible for lottery licensing, the Applicant must qualify as a Charitable, Religious or Non-profit organization. The Organization’s purposes must fall within one or more of these four (4) classifications:

  1. The relief of poverty.
  2. The advancement of education.
  3. The advancement of religion.
  4. Other charitable purposes beneficial to the community, not falling under # 1, 2 or 3 above.

Eligible Guidelines

To determine eligibility the Organization must supply the following documentations:

  1. A copy of Letters of Incorporation, Charitable Registration or Constitution and/or By-laws.
  2. A copy of its budget for the preceding and coming years.
  3. A completed Application for Licensing Eligibility.
  4. A list of the Board of Directors.

Application for licensing eligibility

An Organization must be in existence for at least one (1) year before being considered eligible for Lottery Licenses.

Lottery Licence Terms and Conditions – http://www.agco.on.ca/pdfs/en/terms_cond/4240_g.pdf

Different types of Lottery Licenses issued at City Hall

Break open tickets are instant win lottery tickets commonly known as Pull Tab, Nevada or Break Open Tickets.

Lottery License Fees:

The License fee, as set by the Province, is based on 3% of the prize value for Raffle, Break Open Ticket and regular Bingo lotteries. The License fee for Bingo in a pooling hall is $100 per event. There is a minimum License fee of $15.00.

Use of Proceeds:

Proceeds from lottery/gaming events must be used for the approved eligible purposes only, as identified in the organization’s application.

Lottery Reports:

All Organizations must submit a Financial Report after the Event. The Report for Break Open Ticket, Raffle and Bazaar lotteries must be filed within 30 days of the Event. Individual Bingo Lottery Reports must be filed within 15 days of the Event. Bingo Reports from a pooling hall must be filed monthly.

Where to apply for a Lottery License

To apply for Lottery Licenses you must first complete the Application for Licensing Eligibility and the appropriate Lottery Application, i.e. Bingo, Break Open Ticket, Raffle or Bazaar. All Application forms are available at City Hall in the Clerk’s Department.


  • Lotteries for non-profit and charitable organizations must be licensed.
  • Activities are regulated by the Criminal Code of Canada, Section 206 & 207, Order-in-Council and the Gaming Control Act, 1992 and Regulations.
  • It is illegal to print tickets, promote, or conduct a charitable gaming event without a licence.