Submitting a Claim to the City of Welland:
Please note: With Welland City Hall currently closed to the public in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, claim forms cannot currently be submitted in person.
When submitting a claim, individuals are required to submit claims by completing the attached Claim Form as soon as possible after the incident to ensure that a claim is not invalidated by a limitation period or other deadline, which can occur as early as 10 days from the incident.
Claimants are also asked to provide complete and precise details of the circumstances of the claim, as well as copies of all documentation that supports the claim, as this will reduce possible delays in seeking additional or clarifying information.
A complete review of a standard claim typically takes approximately 6-8 weeks. However, each individual claim varies, so we would ask for your patience in that regard.
Please note: This information is intended to provide claimants with an overview of the claims submission process and should not be considered as legal advice. Claimants requiring legal advice should consult their own advisors.
How to Submit a Claim:
- Download the Insurance Claim Form
- Please type (as opposed to handwritten) to complete the form.
- Submit your Claim Form by one of the following methods:
- (preferred) Email completed form and supporting documentation to: email@example.com
- Submit completed form and supporting documentation by regular letter mail to: City Clerk, City of Welland, 60 East Main Street, Welland, Ontario, L3B 3X4
- Submit completed form and supporting documentation in person by dropping in Drop Box at front door of Welland Civic Centre, 60 East Main Street, Welland, Ontario
Vehicle Damage Claims, Property Damage Claims, and Claims for Bodily InjuryVehicle Damage Claims
Any claim involving a licensed motor vehicle must be reported to the vehicle owner's insurance provider under Ontario automobile insurance regulations, regardless of fault. If you have an accident involving your vehicle, please report it to your insurance provider immediately. Your vehicle insurer will then determine if it feels the City (or any other party) is responsible in any way for the accident and will contact the City or the at-fault party directly, on your behalf.Property Damage Claims
If you suffer loss or damage to your own property, you should immediately report it to your property insurance provider. Your property insurer will then determine if it feels the City (or any other party) is responsible in any way for the loss or damage and will contact the City or the at-fault party directly, on your behalf.Claims for Bodily Injury
If you suffer an injury that you believe to be the fault of the City, you must report the incident to the City immediately. The City's insurance policy may not respond to claims brought forward after the limitations period has expired. This period will differ depending on the claim details.
What to Include in your Claim:
Your claim must contain the following information:
- Your name
- Your address
- Phone number(s) where you can be reached
- Email address
- A detailed description of what happened, outlining:
- The specific damage;
- The name(s) of registered owner(s) of the vehicles / properties involved
- The date, time and exact location of the incident;
- Witnesses' names and addresses;
- Details of any construction in the vicinity of the loss;
- Any other information that may assist in the review of your claim;
- A detailed description of the damages or losses you are claiming together with copies of all repair invoices, estimates, receipts (when available) or other supporting documentation;
- You must date and sign the Claim Form.
What Happens After you Submit a Claim:
When your claim is received, you will be sent an acknowledgement of receipt of your claim, at which time your claim will be forwarded to the City's insurance adjuster and the relevant department for review and response, which as mentioned, typically takes approximately 6-8 weeks.
If you require any further information with respect to submitting a claim, please contact the City Clerk at 905-735-1700 or firstname.lastname@example.org.