Reason for Designation
Built in 1931, this house shows strong influences of the Prairie style of architecture popularized by Frank Lloyd Wright between 1910 and 1930 and brought to Canada by Ottawa architect Francis C. Sullivan. Characteristics of this style can be seen in the strong horizontal eave line, windows grouped in twos and threes, tall chimney and the geometric glazing of the original windows, only one of which survives on the east side of the house. The interior shows a strong Italian influence in style and and materials. The house retains its original oak woodwork and hardwood floors throughout and in the living room an intricate plaster cove ceiling moulding and 1930’s brick fireplace complete with original electric fire. Imported Italian ceiling and side light fixtures and curtain rods of hand painted brass throughout the house are original, as are the fixtures and Italian tile of the second floor bath.
The house was built for Pietro (Peter) and Adelina Messina LoBosco who emigrated from Sicily shortly after their marriage in 1910. Mr. LoBosco ran a barbershop (Service Barber Shop) at 179 East Main Street for over 30 years. Mr. and Mrs. LoBosco, members of St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church, raised a family of five in the house: Peter, Verna, Rose, Mary and Josephine. The house remained in the LoBosco family until 1987 and was the residence of the LoBosco’s daughters Mary, manager of the Robert Simpson Co. Ltd. (later Simpsons-Sears) on East Main; Verna, owner of the Mayverne Gift Shop at 105 East Main for many years and Rose, office manager for Rosberg’s department store (also on East Main). In 1993 it was sold to its current owners William and Heather (Sparks) Foote.