Reason for Designation
This two storey Italianate brick house displays many features typical of the style: cube shape, hipped roof, deeply projecting eaves and pendant eave brackets grouped in twos and threes. An oriel window graces the west side. Classical type wooden pediments cap the double hung windows and the wide, paneled oak front door. Decoration and coloured glass in the east bay window suggest Queen Anne influence. A two storey brick addition extending to the north displays similar Italianate details. Interior paint grained and oak woodwork, staircase and first floor hardwood flooring laid in concentric patterns date to the construction of the house. Woodwork in the addition dates to the late 19th century, while upstairs an early twentieth century bath retains its original tile, stained glass and pedestal sink with chana faucets. A chandelier in the upper front hall hung originally in the Morwood House on Young Street.
The house was built about 1860 for Amos Lee Haun, a manufacturer of ploughs. Proprietor of the the Stonebridge Foundry in Humberstone during the 1850’s, Haun moved to Welland in 1858 and opened the Welland Foundry on Lock Street. In 1878 the house was sold to Luther Boardman, postmaster and Township Treasurer of Crowland who ran the Welland House (Boardman Hotel) there until his death in 1893. The house belonged next to George Rogers, a dredge man for Canada Dredge and Dock and his wife Annie, a midwife and practical nurse. A large stone marked “R” for Rogers sits at the edge of the property on Aqueduct Street. In 1929 the house was bought by Ervin Cardwell, who operated a plumbing business from the garage, as did later owner John Fedor.