Thomas Burgar, the first postmaster for the Village of Welland was an owner of the subject property. In 1855, Mr. Burgar had a plan registered dividing his holdings for development purposes. It is presumed that Burgar Street was named after his family name. His son, George H. Burgar, who succeeded his father as postmaster in 1874, and who was active in local politics as an alderman for a total of 19 years between 1871 and 1912, and Mayor in 1893 and 1894, built the original house on the property.
Dr. W.E. Burgar, a prominent medical practitioner, began his first practice from his house in 1878 and subsequently purchased the property. It is believed that a major addition to the house took place in 1884 under the direction of Dr. Burgar. In 1889, Nancy Glasgow, the wife of Dr. Sinclair H. Glasgow, purchased the property. Dr. Glasgow was an Alderman in 1891 and Mayor of the Town of Welland in 1895 and 1896. He was also the medical officer of health for Crowland.
The three storey frame structure is an excellent example of the Queen Anne Revival Style, characterized by its asymmetrical composition and whimsical detail which is evident in its turret, window gables, dormer, porches and balconies. This period also delighted in exploiting fine materials in a creative offbeat manner. This is quite obvious in the original interior finishes of fine wood, unusual mouldings, panels and the handsome stairway.
Other significant adornments include the spindle tracery offset over the fireplace, the carved glass window and mirror at the front entrance, which at one time allowed a clear southern view down Burgar Street. The unusual half-circle motif of the stair balustrades, which appears to be a fine cherry or mahogany, would be typical of this period.