Strong Mayor Powers
As of October 31, 2023, the provincial government expanded Strong Mayor Powers to 21 additional municipalities, including the City of Welland.
Bill 3, the Strong Mayors, Building Homes Act, 2022, received Royal Assent on September 8, 2022, and came into effect on November 23, 2022.
This legislation and associated regulations (O. Reg. 530/22 and O. Reg. 580/22) provide the Mayor with additional powers beyond those previously set out in the Municipal Act, 2001. These powers were enacted to the City of Welland’s Mayor on October 31, 2023.
Mayoral powers under the Municipal Act
As of October 31, 2023, the Mayor has special powers and duties under Part VI.1 of the Municipal Act, 2001.These include the following powers that the Mayor can delegate:
- Appoint and dismiss the Chief Administrative Officer as well as the heads of organizational units;
- Determine the administrative structure of the City; and
- Establish committees of Council and appoint chairs and vice-chairs of committees of Council.
- Bring to Council matters, or veto by-laws, if the Mayor believes it will advance a prescribed Provincial Priority;
- Prepare the budget and present it to Council, subject to Council amendments, a Mayoral veto, and a Council override process; and
- Direct City staff in writing.
The mayor is required to exercise these powers in writing and make them available to the public, subject to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protections of Privacy Act. A public listing of Mayoral Decisions and Directions is available in the chart below.
|Dec. 6, 2023||2023-05||Decision to shorten the 10-day period for the Mayor to veto amendment resolutions passed by City Council to the Mayor's Proposed 2024 Budgets.|
|Nov. 17, 2023||2023-04||Delegation of Organization Structure|
|Nov. 3, 2023||2023-03||2024 Budgets|
|Nov. 3, 2023||2023-02||Dissolving of the Budget Review Committee (BRC)|
|Nov. 1, 2023||2023-01||Appointment of the Chief Administrative Officer|
- Theresa Ettorre, executive assistant to the Mayor
- Civic Square,
60 East Main St., Welland, ON L3B 3X4
- 905-735-1700 x2101