Capital and Payables Manager
Under the direction of the Manager of Budgets and Financial Reporting/Deputy Treasurer, the Capital and Payables Manager is responsible for managing capital projects, tangible capital assets and to maintain the Corporations tangible capital asset financial software. This position also manages the Corporations accounts payable functions, and is responsible for year-end financial reporting, investment reconciliation, capital budgets and 10 year forecasts.
Posting closes at 4:00pm on Thursday, October 17, 2019.
The annual salary range for this full time, non-union position is $86,267- $103,527.
Department / Reports To:
Manager of Budgets and Financial Reporting/Deputy Treasurer
Duties & Responsibilities:
The duties listed are not meant to provide a description of each and every job performed but only those which represent the core functions of the job.
- Responsible for all accounts payable processes and ancillary systems that affect the disbursement of funds and the settlement of the City’s liabilities.
- Responsible for the controls on the City’s computerized accounts payable system and reconcile related accounts.
- Perform monthly reconciliation of all trust, reserve and investment accounts.
- Responsible for updating the City’s Summary by Debt worksheet.
- Prepare, analyze and verify applications and claim forms submitted by the City for federal and provincial grants, subsidies and other contributions; liaises with officials of agencies to discuss and resolve problems.
- Responsible for the Capital budget and 10 year Capital forecast.
- Responsible for maintaining the Capital budgetary process by reviewing quarterly budget performance and providing analysis of variances; reviewing the format and presentation of data; evaluating departmental submissions for accuracy and adherence to guidelines; advising departments on content and presentation of their data; and participating in budget deliberation meetings.
- Prepare monthly capital budget variances for City departments and prepare quarterly reports for Audit Review Committee.
- Coordinate the capital project close out report process and complete related reports to Council.
- Coordinate the preparation of various reviews, reports and working papers and deliver financial analyses of City expenditures, assets and liabilities and complete related government reporting.
- Responsible for the preparation of year-end unconsolidated financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and the municipal financial reporting handbook.
- Coordinate the preparation and implementation of expenditure and transactional audits and respond to audit requests from external agencies and vendors.
- Assist with preparation, monitoring and variance analysis of Operating and Rate supported budgets.
- Participate on corporate working groups and project teams.
- Act as backup to the Manager of Budgets and Financial Reporting/Deputy Treasurer in his/her absence.
- Responsible for completing the City’s Financial Information Return.
- All other duties as assigned.
- One (1) full time, unionized employee.
- A University Degree in Business or Accounting and current certification, in good standing as a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) is required.
- Five (5) years’ experience in financial analysis and accounts payable, preferably at a supervisory level in a municipal setting
- Successful completion of the Municipal Tax Administration Program is considered an asset.
- Thorough working knowledge of municipal finance related legislation/regulations including the Municipal Act.
- Demonstrated leadership skills acquired through considerable experience supervising, leading and motivating staff, preferably in a unionized environment.
- Demonstrated ability and a clear understanding of all aspects of municipal accounting.
- Proven analytical, organizational, project and time management, problem solving, change management, negotiation, and report writing skills.
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills, coupled with the ability to exercise tact and diplomacy.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit a current resume clearly marked “Capital and Payables Manager ”
via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at:
Human Resources Department
City of Welland
60 East Main Street