Snapshot of Welland
Located in the heart of Niagara, Welland is a 1.5 hour drive from Toronto and 45 minutes from Buffalo, NY. Home to Niagara College, and just a short drive to Brock University, the city is home to local and international students. Rich with multiculturalism and community spirit, Welland is a youth and senior friendly city that endeavors to keep all citizens active, happy, and healthy. We cherish our past, appreciate the present, and continue to grow a bright future. A Few Facts:
- Median age is 43.9 years
- Population is 50,631
- The average income is $35,630 yearly
- 51% of Welland’s population speak both English and French
- We value education and offer Eight Elementary Schools, Seven Catholic Schools, Three Francophone Schools, and Niagara College offers more than 90 post-secondary diploma and post-graduate certificate programs
- We are an age friendly community with accessible municipal transit, and Regional transit that connects to other major Cities
- The City has been a leader in removing barriers to make mobility a priority for all. We are in compliance with Ontario’s accessibility laws and standards
Of all the cities in Niagara Region, Welland best represents the cultural mosaic that truly is Canadian. Welland celebrates its multicultural diversity annually with its Folklore Festival and International Luncheons. With a significant French-Canadian population, the City is also home to a significant Italian community and over the past decade has become “the port of call” for immigrants from South America, Africa, Asia, and Russia. The Welland Heritage Council and Multicultural Centre is always excited to welcome new arrivals. The organizations offers immigration assistance, computer training, daycare and employment seeking assistance. Welcome to Welland!
On August 13, 1991, City of Welland Council passed the resolution to adopt Rose #K0802647 as Welland’s Official Rose, and was named The City of Welland Rose. The city then ordered 1000 bushes for 1993. The first four bushes were given to Joe Mocsan, Gord Rendell, Peter Boyce and Wayne Rohaly, the members of the rose selection committee, in appreciation for their efforts.
The Welland Rose Festival continues to promote and sell the Welland Rose every summer so that Welland residents can appreciate the beauty and pride of Welland’s horticulture.
The City of Welland adopted a new logo in 2016 as a part of the City’s re-branding strategy. Residents were encouraged to submit samples for the new City logo. Local resident and Graphics student Sarah Marko submitted a graphic sample of Bridge 13, which was chosen by the Logo development team. City staff worked with Sarah Marko to refine the graphic and add “Welland, Ontario” to the logo.
The new logo was the inspiration for the City’s new slogan, “Bridging the Past, Present and Future.” Which can be found coupled with the logo on City documents and as a tagline on other internal and external communication tools.
Staff also collaborated on a new City website in 2016, in order to offer stakeholders a better, more responsive experience when browsing through the City’s website pages. The new City logo, slogan, and website are aligned with the City’s strategies to prioritize communications and brand the City of Welland as a municipality of choice.
The Blue Logo
The Gold Logo
- Sports Tourism
- Athlete Development
- Local, Regional, National and International Sporting Events
The Green Logo
- Alternative Energy
- Farmers’ Market
The Red Logo
- Canada’s Colour
Our City Crest colours are: Yellow, Red and Light Navy Blue.
The lion, as a symbol of strength and leadership, is presented in red on a yellow shield. The scroll, directly beneath the shield, is yellow with the Motto "Where Rails and Water Meet" printed thereon in black lettering. A ship flanking each side of the shield, representing the word "Water" in the Motto, is yellow with the lower part of the hull shown in red. A train, resting at the top of the shield, depicting the word "Rails" in the Motto, is shown in yellow with black markings. The words "Corporation of Welland" both above and below the shield and scroll, are depicted in light navy blue.
Our City Flag colours are: Blue, Yellow, Red and Black.
In August, 2002 a By-law to adopt a Bilingual Flag for the Corporation of the City of Welland was passed.
The City of Welland is the outgrowth of a settlement which commenced about the year 1788, when a scattering of farms between what we now know as Quaker Road and South Pelham Street, along the Welland River came to be. Near Welland’s eastern boundary, on Lyons Creek Road, is a cairn, plain and unpretentious, that marks one of the most interesting episodes in the history of this Continent. It marks the spot where more than a century and a half ago, the forces of the United States and those of Canada met for the last time in armed conflict. That was the Battle of Cooks Mills which ended an epoch of suspicion and enmity and opened another one of peace, understanding and goodwill.
In 1829, when a wooden aqueduct was built to carry the Welland Canal over the Welland River, a true urban presence of settlement came to be around that location. The settlement was called Aqueduct or The Aqueduct. On November 14, 1844, following the replacing of the wooden Aqueduct by one of stone, the name was changed to Merrittsville to honour the Honourable William Merritt. The settlement was incorporated as the Village of Welland on July 24, 1858. Incorporation as a town took place on January 1, 1878, and as a City on July 1, 1917.
The City of Welland is located within the centre of the Niagara Region. Via excellent highways, Welland is approximately seventy-five minutes from Toronto and within thirty minutes of Buffalo, New York.
Welland is located in the heart of the Niagara District, whose fruit orchards, vineyards and vegetable gardens have given the area the title of "Garden of Canada". There are 462.61 acres of fine parks and one of the finest Rose Gardens in the Province. This garden with others privately-owned, has earned for Welland the appellation of "Rose City" a title officially confirmed by resolution of City Council on October 18, 1921.
In 1991 Council adopted Rose #K0802647 as Welland’s Official Rose. The colour variation of yellow, red and orange was deemed appropriate by the selection committee as it represented Welland’s blend of cultures.
Since incorporation as a City on July 1, 1917, the first expansion of City boundaries took place on January 1, 1950, when approximately 300 acres of Thorold Township were annexed to the City. The annexed area comprised those lands west from First Avenue to the centre line of Willson Road, north to the centre line of Thorold Road and south to the Welland River.
The City of Welland became 100 years old on July 24, 1958, and duly celebrated from July 21 to July 28, inclusive, by having special Church services, sports events of all kinds, a Mardi Gras, Band Tattoo, and finally a grand parade. Special lighting on the main streets welcomed the guests home.
A second tier of government, known as the Regional Municipality of Niagara, replacing the two County Councils took office on January 1, 1970. The twenty-four municipalities in Lincoln and Welland Counties were consolidated into twelve. The City of Welland annexed half of Crowland Township, a large area of Humberstone Township and a small portion of Thorold Township.
In 1983, Welland celebrated its 125th Anniversary of Incorporation. A Council Committee organized a series of events during a special period of celebration, July 21 to 24, and a Special Council meeting was held in the Court House on the Anniversary of the first Council Meeting, September 27. A Souvenir Booklet was produced and a Commemorative Plate was sold to honour this momentous occasion in the life of this Community.
One of the keys to Welland’s success as a community is its wealth of dedicated volunteers, energetically working behind the scenes. 1988 saw these volunteers come to the forefront of some major initiatives aimed at revitalizing the downtown and promoting tourism throughout the City.
Meanwhile, in the public sector in 1998, Niagara College opened a 117 unit student residence complex at its Welland Campus. The Welland Arena also saw major renovations adding administrative offices and meeting room facilities to the front of the Welland Arena.
The completion of construction of the new Civic Square in 2005 was an integral step towards the revitalization of the downtown core. The Civic Square consists of the City Hall and Library, and is approximately 71,258 square feet. The official opening on June 28, 2005 was well attended by citizens and dignitaries as it took the will of three Councils and three Mayors to see the start and finish of this wonderful addition to Welland’s downtown. As well as being a very open and functional building, featured in the prestigious January 2007 edition of the Canadian Architect magazine, it also proudly serves as a gateway for residents and visitors alike for festival events between the Market Square, Downtown, and Merritt Island.
The City of Welland celebrated its 150th Anniversary on July 24, 2008.