Waste Management services are provided by the Regional Municipality of Niagara. All the information you need about garbage, recycling, and organic collection, as well as landfill sites and hours of operation can be found at the following link https://www.niagararegion.ca/waste/default.aspx or on Infoline at 1-800-594-5542 / (905) 356-4141.
Report Illegal Dumping
Illegal dumping is the disposing of waste in non-designated areas, such as rural areas, vacant lots and along the roadside.
Tips for reducing litter on windy days
On windy days, litter and debris can be an issue when items are blown from curbside recycling boxes. There are proactive measures that individuals can take that are relatively easy and cheap to minimize litter on windy days.
Recycling material remains the responsibility of the homeowner until the material is collected.
Follow these tips to reduce litter and help keep your neighbourhood clean:
- Set your Blue Box at the curb by 7 a.m. the morning of your collection day, rather than the night before
- If possible, bring in your recycling containers from the curb soon after the material is collected
- Flatten boxboard
- Stack your heavier recyclable items such as phone books and magazines on top of lighter material
- Keep recyclables below the rim of your recycling box to prevent the wind from catching them, you can use multiple recycling boxes for extra materials or use other rigid re-usable containers for extra recycling (extra containers must not exceed 3ftX2ft)
- Stack your Blue and Grey Boxes on top of one another to prevent flying debris
- When wind is really strong, residents may choose to not place their recycling at the curb and place it out the following week