Emergency Management Specialist Intern/Co-op
Guided by the Community Emergency Management Coordinator (CEMC), the Emergency Management Specialist Intern/Co-op will conduct a comprehensive review of the City’s Emergency Management Plan and supporting documents. Modernizing the program to ensure it includes all pillars of Emergency Management and its alignment with the applicable legislation. The successful candidate will primarily work remotely and support a flexible schedule to help balance all priorities.
4:00pm on June 17, 2022
$17.94 per hour
Department / Reports To:
Fire and Emergency Services / Community Emergency Management Coordinator
Duties & Responsibilities:
The duties listed are not meant to provide a description of each and every job performed but only those which represent the core functions of the job.
- Lead the comprehensive review and update of the City’s Emergency Management Plan, Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment, and Critical Infrastructure database
- Assist in the development and implementation of business continuity and disaster recovery planning for the City of Welland
- Assist in the development of short- and long-term strategies for the Disaster and Emergency Management needs of the community
- Work across multiple internal and external clients
- Communicate frequently, effectively, and professionally with all project stakeholders
- Track, monitor and communicate progress and issues to the project manager
- Understand the role of the program in the context of the wider portfolio
- Maintain confidential information and documentation while developing trust and stakeholder confidence
- Other duties as assigned.
- Current enrollment, or recent completion of, a University Degree, or College Diploma in emergency management, disaster recovery, business continuity management or a similar program related to Emergency Management or preparedness
- Completion of Emergency Management Ontario’s EM 125, IMS 100
- Knowledge of the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act
- Knowledge of the Pillars of Emergency Management, as they relate to a lower-tier municipality in a two-tier Region
- Ability to work independently and remotely, with minimal supervision
- Thorough understanding of Ontario’s Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act and knowledge of other related regulations and legislations
- Knowledge of the Ontario Public Health Standards, and municipal requirements, related to the delivery of emergency social services, as well as current issues and practices related to emergency planning and response
- Extensive demonstrated knowledge of all hazard/risk assessment and analysis
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, including the ability to summarize complex data into understandable, user-friendly, relevant explanations for reporting and knowledge transfer to management and staff
- Excellent oral presentation and small group facilitation skills to lead focus group discussions
- Effective consulting, leadership, and project management skills.
- Flexibility and adaptability to adjust approaches, as needed
- Critical thinking, effective problem solving and conflict management skills.
- Accountability and high quality and accuracy of work
- Computer expertise in corporate standard software (Microsoft Office) and department-specific software to data search and entry and to create and modify word processed documents
- Aware of safe work practices as they relate to job responsibilities and work environment, and an understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit a current resume clearly marked “Emergency Management Specialist Intern/Co-op” via email to email@example.com
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.