Capital Asset and Financial Accountant
About the position…
Spreadsheets, ticker tapes, calculators. These are the tools of your trade, and you know how to wield them. The City of Welland is looking for a Capital Asset and Financial Accountant to join its finance department. This position requires a keen mind, a watchful eye, and the confidence to know when to make the right moves. As a finance department member, you’ll be responsible for policies and procedures, accounting programs, compliance with the Public Sector Accounting Board. In this role, you’re not just crunching numbers and shuffling paper; you’re participating in decisions and recommending acquisitions and disposals. Your work will matter. If you’re ready to put your experience in financial accounting to work, to lean on your credentials as a CPA, CMTP, CMO, AIMA, or MMIA, this job could be the right fit for you. If you’re ready to make a difference in a growing municipality in the heart of Niagara, we want to hear from you.
4:00pm on May 27th, 2022
$83,250.24 - $101,286.65 (2022 rates) plus a comprehensive benefits package, flexible working arrangements, and OMERS pension
Department / Reports To:
Finance / Manager of Budgets and Financial Reporting/Deputy Treasurer
Duties & Responsibilities:
The duties listed are not meant to provide a description of each and every job performed but only those which represent the core functions of the job.
- Responsible for the City’s Tangible Capital Assets (TCA) Policy and Procedures
- Responsible for the City’s accounting program for recording, monitoring, and reporting of the City’s TCA’s
- Ensure compliance with the Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB)
- Research and implement the new standards as prescribed
- Monitor and provide feedback on PSAB exposure drafts
- Amend City accounting system to accommodate PSAB standards
- Administer the City’s investment portfolios
- Maintain investment policy and procedures
- Monitor the City’s investments holding and capital markets
- Responsible for the City’s investment strategy
- Recommend acquisitions and disposals of investments
- Participate on corporate working groups and project teams
- Provide back-up to the Revenue Service Manager in their absence
- Monitor the assessment base through research and analysis to maximize revenue
- Assist in all month end, quarterly and yearend account reviews, financial statements, and Financial Information Return (FIR)
- Responsible for On-Line E-Government solutions
- Review the Finance departments user fees, prepare related templates, assist departments with analysis and comparison to other municipalities’ user fees.
- Other duties as assigned
- A University Degree in Finance, Economics, Real Property Administration, or a related discipline.
- Current certification, in good standing, as a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) is considered an asset.
- Five (5) years’ financial accounting experience within a municipal setting, as well as experience working with various municipal departments, consultants, and government agencies.
- Certification as a Certified Municipal Tax Professional (CMTP), a Certified Municipal Officer (CMO), or an Associate or Accredited member designation from the Institute of Municipal Assessors (AIMA or MIMA) and/or completion of the Municipal Tax Administration Program is considered an asset.
- Thorough working knowledge of municipal finance related legislation/regulations including the Municipal Act, Assessment Act and other Municipal legislation.
- Demonstrated ability and a clear understanding of all aspects of municipal taxation with general knowledge of municipal administration and accounting.
- Proven analytical, organizational, project and time management, problem solving, change management, negotiation, and report writing skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders including the ability to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit a current resume clearly marked “Capital Asset and Financial Accountant” via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.