Under the direction of the Engineering Design Supervisor, the CAD Technician is responsible for producing construction drawings and as built drawings, the use and maintenance of all related files and databases for a variety of Municipal engineering projects and infrastructure. This position is also responsible for keeping up to date with the use of all CAD related hardware and software to meet the engineering and technical needs to the Infrastructure and Development Services Department.
Posting closes at 4:00pm on Friday, October 11th, 2019
The hourly wage range for this full-time, unionized position is $31.94 - $33.60.
Department / Reports To:
Infrastructure and Development Services/Engineering Design Supervisor
Duties & Responsibilities:
The duties listed are not meant to provide a description of each and every job performed but only those which represent the core functions of the job.
- Provide preliminary designs and to prepare base plans and construction drawings of storm and sanitary sewers, water mains, roadways and sidewalks as per municipal standards.
- Maintain engineering drawing files, infrastructure files and data (hard copy and digital) and update drawing index database.
- Act as liaison between the Design, Construction and Infrastructure division of the department.
- Chair the Information Technology Committee.
- Work with Design, Construction and Infrastructure staff and assist in the development of contract drawings, utility mark ups and other drawings, as required.
- Keep up to date on CAD related hardware and software development in the market place and make appropriate recommendations of necessary upgrades, as required.
- Coordinate with Survey Crew data collection operations on all hardware and software related requirements to ensure effective filed data transfer and integrity.
- Coordinate and maintain all existing Engineering operation related databases, both text and graphic based, including but not limited to drawing inventories, sanitary service laterals location database, sanitary service laterals location database, sewer TV inspection records and easement and others as developed.
- Operate various types of plan reproduction printing devices and scanning for tender preparation and plan distribution purposes.
- Assist staff on engineering studies process and follow up on complaints or requests for the public or other City departments as assigned.
- Provide Infrastructure Information to the General Public in accordance with City guidelines.
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a team.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Guidance to co-op students (high school and post-secondary)
- Three (3) year College Diploma in Civil Engineering, Architectural Studies or other related field.
- Full membership, or eligibility for full membership, with OACETT, with one of the following designations; C.Tech., C.E.T. or A.Sc.T.
- Five (5) years drafting experience in Municipal and CAD environment.
- Strong working knowledge of CIVIL3D, AUTOCAD and other standard corporate software, including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Possess a valid class “G” Ontario Driver’s License.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit a current resume clearly marked “CAD Technician”
via email to email@example.com or in person at:
Human Resources Department
City of Welland
60 East Main Street