Chief Executive Officer
Welland Public Library
The Chief Executive Officer is responsible to the Board for planning, organizing, directing and controlling all library operations and services in accordance with the policies established by the Board and statutory requirements. The Chief Executive Officer advises and recommends policies to the Board, serves as Secretary-Treasurer to the Board
4:00pm on January 25, 2019.
The annual salary range for this full time, position is $101,046- $121,776. The Library also offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Welland Public Library Board (“The Board”)
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Directs Library operations for the efficient administration of library services in accordance with the plans and policies approved by the Board.
- Initiates and works with the Board in the development and maintenance of a strategic plan for provision of community library service.
- Performs the duties of Treasurer and Secretary as defined in the Public Libraries Act.
- Plans and presents the Library’s capital and operating budgets for the Board’s consideration and following budget approval, ensures that expenditures are made in keeping with such approval and/or brings disparities to the Board’s attention.
- Reports regularly to the Board regarding the Library’s operations and finances, makes recommendations for the achieving of the Board’s objectives, and reports on other matters at his/her discretion.
- Responsible for all matters relating to personnel administration, including hiring, suspension, or dismissal of employees, staff planning, policy development.
- Develops and recommends to the Board specific objectives and policies needed to meet the requirements of the community and to expand the Library’s services consistent with sound management practices, cost analysis and control.
- Actively involved with community organizations in order to be able to identify and be responsive to community needs and to foster productive community relations consistent with the vision and objectives of the Library’s strategic plan.
- Establishes relationships with and participates in professional library organizations, associations and task forces to benefit the Library and to advance its reputation.
- Liaises closely with City of Welland staff, notably the Chief Administrative Officer, and those responsible for financial services, facilities management, and human resources.
- Develops and implements an ongoing program of evaluation of the Library’s systems, programs and services, and makes adjustments or improvements where needed to maintain the highest possible performance and operational standards.
- Acts as spokesperson for the Library on professional and administrative matters.
- Master of Library/Information Science degree from an accredited institution
- Minimum of five years’ experience in a senior management position in a public library.
Abilities, Skills and Knowledge Requirements:
- Demonstrated leadership, organizational and financial management skills.
- Knowledge of current library concepts and practices in such fields as collection development, information retrieval, automation and service planning.
- Demonstrated ability to set goals, establish priorities, and work to deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to enable and foster change.
- High degree of computer literacy.
- Ability to work cooperatively, effectively and productively with a Board of Trustees, including familiarity with the organization of meetings and rules of procedures.
- Excellent oral, presentation and writing skills, including clear and concise report writing and public relations skills.
- Excellent supervisory skills, including the ability to develop staff and to build and maintain an effective management team
- An abiding appreciation of and commitment to excellence in customer service.
- A background of success in fundraising and building community partnerships.
- Proven ability to innovate, make decisions, apply positive motivational techniques, and manage time.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit a current resume clearly marked “Welland Library CEO”
via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at:
Human Resources Department
City of Welland
60 East Main Street