Message from the Chief Administrative Officer
Great things are happening in the City of Welland. Welland is a “smart city” within the knowledge economy and we’re focused on programs and emerging technologies that will enhance the liveability, workability, and sustainability of our residents and businesses. We’ve rebranded ourselves to reflect a progressive and dynamic City that is undergoing a new phase of growth and economic prosperity. General Electric’s decision to build a state of the art “brilliant factory” in Welland, only the second in the world, reflects the City’s commitment to attract jobs and investment, to diversify within a competitive global economy, as well as the success of strategic partnerships with Niagara College and Brock University. The increased residential activity, along with new commercial and industrial investments, is a statement of confidence in our City, Council and staff, our programs and incentives, the talented workforce in Welland and within Niagara Region, and our quality of life.
At the staff level, we’re focused on creating a culture of excellence and innovation, and building a collaborative approach to address challenges and capitalize on opportunities. We’re also focused on aligning our projects and initiatives with Council’s strategic priorities: Canal Redevelopment; Infrastructure Renewal; Financial Management and Sustainability; Business Development and Job Creation; and Communications, Public Engagement, and Organizational Culture.
The next few years will be exciting times as we move forward with strategic initiatives that will build a safe, successful, and sustainable community with world-class amenities for future generations to enjoy.
We’re here to help and we look forward to serving you.
Chief Administrative Officer
Anna Smith, Administrative Assistant to the CAO
phone: 905-735-1700, Ext. 2122
The CAO is responsible to provide corporate leadership and direction for the general management of the Corporation as well as participating in the overall stewardship of the municipality.
The major responsibilities are:
- Administering the business affairs of the municipality;
- Providing direction to City employees;
- Directing the development and implementation of corporate policies and programs;
- Ensuring Council receives the appropriate reports and information necessary for decision making;
- Assisting Council in the development of a corporate strategic plan;
- Directing the exercise of general financial control of all departments and ensuring Council is presented with the annual estimates of revenue and expenditures.
- Directing collective bargaining with all employees and recommending to Council agreements concerning wage, salaries, benefits and working conditions;
- Liaising with local boards, commissions, agencies, other municipalities, and provincial and federal governments;
- Providing direction to economic development strategies, and ensuring the development of business opportunities and relationships.