The City of Welland does not hold birth, death, or marriage records. The Office of the Registrar General holds records for births that happened in Ontario during the past 95 years, deaths that happened in Ontario during the past 70 years, and marriages that happened in Ontario during the past 80 years.
To request a certificate online or for additional information, please visit the ServiceOntario website at www.serviceontario.ca. Please note that applications can be made for records (long form birth, marriage, and death records), but the applicant must meet eligibility requirements.
The Office of the Registrar General can be reached at 416-325-8305 or toll free within Canada and the continental US at 1-800-461-2156. Paper applications for forwarding to the Office of the Registrar General can be picked up at the Office of the City Clerk, Welland Civic Square, 60 East Main Street.
To obtain older records, please contact:
The Archives of Ontario
134 Ian Macdonald Boulevard
Toronto, ON M7A 2C5
Telephone: 1-800-668-9933 or 416-327-1600
Note: Each year, the Office of the Registrar General of Ontario sends to the Archives another year of records to be prepared and made publicly available (available on microfilm).
The following are suggested resources to aid in your search:
- Visit Welland Public Library at wellandlibrary.ca or directly to the Genealogy Database at https://www.wellandlibrary.ca/genealogydatabase (this database is an index of surnames from local sources dating back to approximately 1872).
- Library also has Vernon’s Directories dating back to 1915.
- Further genealogical information may be obtained by contacting Welland Public Library Genealogy Division at 905-735-1700 ext. 2506 or email@example.com.
- Visit Ontario Genealogical Society at https://ogs.on.ca or by calling 416-489-0734 or toll free: 1-855-MYROOTS (1-855-697-6687). You can also reach them by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can also visit the Niagara Peninsula Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society at https://niagara.ogs.on.ca and email our research team at email@example.com.
For over 50 years, the Ontario Genealogical Society has been working to encourage, bring together and assist people interested in the pursuit of family history.