Administrative Penalty Information
for Non-parking Related Offences
City of Welland
By-law Enforcement Division
60 East Main Street
Phone: 905-735-1700 Extension 2224
For your convenience, the City of Welland accepts online payments using Visa or MasterCard through our online service provider, Paymentus. Please Note: Tickets will be available for online payment two business days after the date of issue.
- By Mail: (address above)
Place payment in an envelope, affix sufficient postage and mail. Please allow sufficient time for payment to be delivered. DO NOT MAIL CASH. When you mail your payment, you assume the consequences if for any reason the payment is not received in our office by the due date.
- In Person: (address above)
Payable at Civic Square, Finance Department, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday inclusive (Holidays Excepted).
Cash, Cheque, Money Order or Debit Card only. OR Use the mail drop box at Civic Square entrance during or after business hours.
- Remember: Write the number of the Penalty Notice on the front of your cheque or money order and make payable to: City of Welland
- Note: Dishonoured cheques will be subject to an administrative charge of $30.00
AN ADMINISTRATIVE PENALTY WILL, UNLESS CANCELLED OR REDUCED PURSUANT TO THE REVIEW AND APPEAL PROCESS, CONSTITUE A DEBT FROM THE PERSON(S) TO THE MUNICIPALITY.
FAILURE TO TAKE ACTION AS SET OUT HEREIN WILL RESULT IN ADDITIONAL ADMINISTRATIVE FEES AND MAY BE COLLECTED IN THE SAME MANNER AS MUNICIPAL TAXES.
For online payments, click on icon, at left, to make ticket payments using Visa or MasterCard through our online service provider, Paymentus.
If you wish to challenge a penalty notice under the APS system, the following steps must be taken.
- The penalty notice is issued and the person has 15 days to pay the fine OR
- The recipient must complete the Screening Request Form and submit it
using one of the following methods within 15 days of the date the penalty notice was issued.
Completed applications can be received by fax; mail; in-person or emailed: BYLAWAPS@WELLAND.CA
- If the 15 days expires and no application has been made for a screening appointment, and there are satisfactory
reasons to issue an extension, such extension request must be submitted to the Screening Officer no later than 45 days
after the penalty notice is issued. On the 46th day after the penalty notice was issued if no screening request has been made
and payment has not been received, the penalty notice will be affirmed
- A screening process must take place before a hearing can be requested.
- At the appointment with the Screening Officer, the Screening Officer may affirm the administrative penalty, or may
cancel, vary or extend the time for payment. You can apply to have the matter heard by a Hearing Officer.
- The hearing process should take place within 1 week to 2 months depending on the availability of the Hearing Officer.
Again, the Hearing Officer can reduce, cancel or confirm the fine amount. The Hearing Officer's decision is final and binding.
There is no appeal mechanism and no ability for the person to take the matter to court.
- No fee may be charged in relation to obtaining a review before a Screening Officer or a Hearing Officer. However, a fee for Non-appearance ($100.00 for Screening and $250.00 for Hearing) will be applied to the penalty.
Please note the following additional fees will be charged under the APS system:
- Hearing Non-appearance Fee – $250.00
- Screening Non-appearance Fee – $100.00
- Late Payment Fee – $20
- NSF Fee - $30.00
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact 905-735-1700 Extension 2224 or email: BYLAWAPS@WELLAND.CA
A person may request a review of the Screening Decision by a Hearings Officer by filing a Request to Review of Hearings Officer form with the City of Welland within 15 days from the Screening Decision date.
Please refer to By-law 2019-134