LED Streetlighting Phase 2
In 2013, the City of Welland completed Phase 1 of the LED Streetlight Conversion. This involved replacing approximately 4300 High Pressure Sodium (HPS) cobra head style streetlights with Light-Emitting Diode (LED) fixtures.
The City is now in the initial stages of Phase 2, which would replace approximately 2300 post-top fixtures, mostly in residential neighbourhoods. As part of this, 6 post-top HPS streetlights have been replaced with a prototype LED fixture on the west end of Rolling Acres Drive, near Rice Road.
Residents are encouraged to visit Rolling Acres Drive in the evening to observe the proposed streetlighting and provide feedback via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 1, 2014. Responses will help Council decide if, how, and when they should proceed with the implementation of Phase 2 LED streetlights across the City.
NOTICE OF INTENTION TO DESIGNATE
In the matter of the Ontario Heritage Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter O.18;
And in the matter of the structure and property known municipally as the
TAKE NOTICE THAT the Council of the City of Welland intends to designate the structure and property known as the “Welland Canal Second Aqueduct” located municipally on the east side of the Welland Recreational Waterway (former Welland Canal) along the Boardwalk and directly west of the present Civic Square at 60 East Main Street, as property of cultural heritage value or interest under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter O.18, as amended.
REASONS FOR THE PROPOSED DESIGNATION:
“This stone aqueduct was built between 1842 and 1850 during construction of the Second Welland Canal to replace the original 1829 wooden aqueduct which carried the Canal over the Welland River (Chippawa Creek). Constructed of thousands of cut stones weighing approximately one ton each, it consists of a series of four stone arches supporting a large trough through which the canal and ships once passed. It was designed by Irish born engineers Walter and Francis Shanly and built by contractor Samuel Zimmerman. This aqueduct remained in use until construction of the Fourth Welland Canal (1913-1932).
The first urban settlement in what is now Welland came about due to the necessity to construct an aqueduct (of which this is the earliest surviving example) over the Welland River and the nucleus and downtown core of the present city grew up around it. The settlement itself was first known as “Aqueduct,” later “Merrittsville” and finally “Welland”. The aqueduct, therefore, can be said to be the catalyst that created this community.
Key attributes of the aqueduct that reflect its value as the oldest surviving aqueduct on the Welland Canal are: constructed of thousands of ashlar cut stones weighing approximately one ton each; consists of a series of four stone arches 45 feet wide with a span of 45 feet each capped with rows of stone voussoirs and stabilized with projecting buttresses that support a large trough (now infilled with earth) through which the canal and ships once passed; when it was completed in the 1840’s, the aqueduct measured 45 feet wide and over 315 feet long; and it may be the oldest surviving stone aqueduct to carry water transportation in Canada.”
Notice of objection to the proposed designation may be filed with the City Clerk of the City of Welland no later than the 27th day of October, 2014.
Dated at the City of Welland this 25th day of September, 2014.
City of Welland
Welland City Council proposes to name the sculpture park located at the Welland Community Wellness Complex, the ‘Rod Dowling Sculpture Park’ in recognition of Rod Dowling’s generous donation of art sculptures to the City of Welland.
In accordance with the City of Welland Municipal Naming/Renaming Policy SER-008-0006, a communication strategy must be initiated by advertising the proposed naming on the City’s website and Civic Corner for a period of 30 days during which time, public comments will be received and considered.