Approval of a Plan of Subdivision or Condominium Description
- Submission Requirements
- Approval Stamps Formats (pdf)
- Sign Requirements for Subdivision Applications
- Suggested Sign Format (pdf)
- Subdivision/Condominium Application (pdf)
- Standard Subdivider's Agreement (pdf)
- Irrevocable Standby Letter-of-Credit - Sample(pdf)
- Please see Policy Number FIN-001-0008 for Letters of Credit
- Environmental Site Screening Questionnaire (pdf)
- Proposed Street Names (pdf)
- Lot Grading and Drainage Policy for Subdivisions (pdf)
- Requirements for Lands to be Conveyed to the City (pdf)
- By-law 11220 to Authorize Condition of Development or Re-Development of the Conveyance of Parkland or Cash-in-Lieu (pdf)
- City Standards (pdf)
- Urban Design Guidelines (pdf)
The City of Welland is the approval authority for proposed Plans of Subdivision and Condominiums.
Rev. March 18, 2014
The Applicant is required to provide appropriate answers to all questions on the Application form. It should be noted that if all prescribed information is not provided, the Application shall not be accepted. The completed Application should be submitted, together with the required fees, and the following:
- Twenty-five (25) paper prints of the draft plan - folded not larger than legal size (8 ½” x 14”) SIGNED BY OWNER AND SURVEYOR.
- the boundaries of the land proposed to be subdivided, certified by an Ontario Land Surveyor;
- the locations, widths and names of the proposed highways within the proposed subdivision and of existing highways on which the proposed subdivision abuts;
- on a small key plan, on a scale of not less than one centimetre to 100 metres, all of the land adjacent to the proposed subdivision that is owned by the Applicant or in which the Applicant has an interest, every subdivision adjacent to the proposed subdivision and the relationship of the boundaries of the land to be subdivided to the boundaries of the township lot or other original grant of which the land forms the whole or part;
- the purpose for which the proposed lots are to be used;
- the existing uses of all adjoining lands;
- the approximate dimensions and layout of the proposed lots;
- natural and artificial features such as buildings or other structures or installations, railways, highways, watercourses, drainage ditches, wetlands and wooded areas within or adjacent to the land proposed to be subdivided;
- the availability and nature of domestic water supplies;
- the nature and porosity of the soil;
- existing contours or elevations as may be required to determine the grade of the highways and the drainage of the land proposed to be subdivided;
- the municipal services available or to be available to the land proposed to be subdivided; and
- the nature and extent of any restrictions affecting the land proposed to be subdivided, including restrictive covenants or easements.
- All plans submitted for draft approval must have the appropriate stamp located on the plans in the same location as is indicated for the final plans (see below).
- All plans submitted for final approval must have the appropriate stamp located on the originals and all copies directly below the certificate of registration.
- Please see attached sheet indicating format and wording for required stamps.
- NOTE: All plans must be drawn to a useable metric scale (i.e. 1:500, 1:1000). One (1) legible copy of the draft plan reduced to 21.6 cm x 35.6 cm (8 ½” x 14”) must be submitted with the Application. Depending upon the scope of the Application, more copies of the draft plan may be required. Please contact the Integrated Services
- All plans and information on the Application must be in metric measurement (OR 544/06).
Map Projection: Universal Transverse Mercator
Horizontal Datum: NAD83 Zone 17 North
Horizontal Units: Metres
The graphics in the drawing must be geographically positioned to 3rd order accuracy. The City’s horizontal control network (UTM NAD83) may be used as a control reference and can be accessed on the City of
at the following web address: Welland Internet Map Server
Please email the electronic information to email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com indicating the Subdivision File Number and the name of the Subdivision.
LIST OF CONTACTS
CITY OF WELLAND
|INFRASTRUCTURE SERVICES||ENGINEERING DIVISION
|INFRASTRUCTURE SERVICES||TRAFFIC DIVISION
|INFRASTRUCTURE SERVICES||PUBLIC WORKS DIVISON
CITY OF WELLAND
|CORPORATE SERVICES||TRANSIT DIVISION
||FIRE AND EMERGENCY SERVICES||DENYS PREVOST||
||DEVELOPMENT SERVICES DIVISION||LINDSAY EARL||EXT. 3387|
|MINISTRY OF NATURAL RESOURCES|
|MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE & FOOD|
|MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT AND ENERGY|
|PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT||EUGENE CHAJKA|
MINISTRY OF NATURAL RESOURCES
|SUZANNE MCINNES||EXT. 235|
MINISTRY OF THE ENVIRONMENT
N.B. This list is not comprehensive.
SIGN REQUIREMENTS FOR SUBDIVISION APPLICATIONS
- Prior to a proposed draft plan of subdivision being circulated by the City of Welland, the Owner/Developer is required to erect at least one sign on the property to be subdivided. This sign is intended for the information of interested persons.
- The sign must have a minimum display area of 50 square feet. Larger signs may be used for large developments or where visibility is a problem.
- The sign shall have the following components:
- City of Welland identification;
- the words "Public Notice" in bold lettering;
- the words "Proposed Subdivision" and the name, if any, of the subdivision;
- a subdivision map, coloured and drawn to show subdivision pattern, proposed land uses, roadways, pedestrian ways, prominent natural features;
- a legend and an arrow indicating the north direction;
- at the bottom of the sign, the following must be included:
"This proposed plan of subdivision has been submitted to the City of Welland for approval. Persons wishing to express an opinion OR MAKE FURTHER INQUIRIES should write or phone Integrated Services, City of Welland, 60 East Main Street, Welland, Ontario. L3B 3X4 (905) 735-1700, Extension 2251.
NOTE: The Planning Act provides for the referral of subdivision plans by individuals to the Ontario Municipal Board only if such a request is received by the City prior to Council's decision."
- the sign must be dated prominently. The date to be used should be on or about the date of posting. Revised signs must include a revision date.
- The following colour scheme should be used on all signs:
Single-family detached - yellow
Semi-detached - orange
Townhouses - dark orange
Apartments - brown
COMMERCIAL - red
INDUSTRIAL - purple
PARK-OPEN SPACE - green
INSTITUTIONAL - blue
- The sign must be prominently displayed on the property and legible from abutting roadways. If the property abuts more than one major roadway, and the subdivision is of substantial size, a sign will be required for each frontage on a major roadway.
- Staff of Integrated Services will assist in choosing a suitable location or locations if requested.
- Prior to the proposed plan being circulated, Integrated Services must be in possession of a coloured photograph which shows the sign or signs on the property.
rev. October 4, 2011